Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Years Resolution

Okay am back..... after a lot of procrastination my last entry was on November the 27th and here I am January the 10th- today is a special day- Muraya Holla!!!I have decided that I will only have one resolution - do everything that I did last year differently and have a passion in everything that I do...I think that sums up all the resolutions that I can come up with..because I can say that I want to loose weight this year but if I have no passion for it then it is pointlesss.I can say that I want to help the less fortunate this year but if I have no passion I will achieve nothing...Christmas came and went thank God I did not spend it at work as I did my first christmas in this country...I chose to spend it with people so dear to me - Winnie , Mercy, Mary in Salem MA.I can describe each and eveyone in detail but that would take up a whole blog coz they are all so special and unique in their own way - love them to bits...We were initially to have a lunch from two but being the Africans that we are ended up eating the nyam chom at 6 but we had a ball all the same...Oh yes and the weekend before I had spent it at the Richardsons - thats my other family - I think I have special angels all over the place we had such a ball went bowling with Debbie - my sweet angel with Multiple sclerosis such a fighter and a diva at that - Debbie has the biggest closet I have seen in MA!!!and her sweet son Peter who has grown so much in the last year and the last day of my viist he was like "Penny no go home today Penny stay with Peter"He makes my heart melt for sure...
Sadly Kenya had her elections on the 27th and it did not turn out so well...there was outwright rigging by the curent president which erupted in violence across the country but being the mature Kenyans we are people rose above that and helped out as much as they could and peace is slowly being established.The sad part however is those whose houses, shops etc were burnt down and what pains the most is that the people most affected are the ones with less resources than your average mwananchi living below the poverty line.So while the well to do in State House are chanting behind their armed guarded mansions that the elections were rigged they watch on their plasma TV their fellow Kenyans in Kibera slain each other - am sure paid a measly sum to do that...we will not name names here...
It is so sad that Kenya has had to begin her year on such a low note -with bloodshed ,people have lost loved ones all in the name of greed. the dollar went up , Safaricons much anticipated IPO had to be put on hold , schools had to be postponed sponsorships from abroad have been withdrawn etc.Watching the drama unfold from the diaspora , we are putting ourselves in the leagues of Sudan , DRC ,Ethiopia who have had no stable government for a very long time...So why are we as humans so greedy for power and prestige that we put our integrity on the line...Honestly speaking who will ever listen to Kibaki anymore ..anything he says will be hogwash - not that we ever fully did listen as all he spoke was gibberish with a looney wife to back him up!People I tell you at the end of the day when everything has been stripped away all that is left is your character.....not what you have done but who you are is what wins the day....So as you go about your day to day activities be men and women of integrity ....untainted, just and honest as possible....
Oh yes then guess where I went to jump the year with my other angel Priscilla - Orlando Florida but I will put that posting with the pics ....watch this space..

No comments: