Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That we many never forget...

So this has been a summer of diverse reads for me....my journey started with fifty shades - which I left halfway - yeah am one of those feminists going like Oh no Mr Grey you did not or maybe unlike Rihanna chains dont excite me... so my journey continued with the book Accountants Story -  Medellin cartel in Colombia led by Pablo Escobar - the Al Capone of South America.This was one of the first cartels to make millions out of the boomin drug industry...I then travelled to Zimba ma Bawe in the book House of stone that captured the life of two families living in Southern Rhodesia -  Zimbabwe at the time- one a rich white Rhodesian family and the other a poor Shona family living in the era of revolutions and turmoils and the hope of empty promises that Mugabe begun to make thirty years ago.....I was tempted to re-read Left to tell - discovering God amidst the Rwandan genocide however an even more interesting book caught my eye - First they killed my father - a daughter of Cambodia remembers.I just finished that book yesterday and my oh my talk of hard to put down.The book is a page turner...I tell you you read that book and your problems seem like childs play...So in a nutshell Cambodia from '75-79 was under military rule of the Khmer rouge who terrorized citizens...it was so bad that when the came to power the called it - year 0 yani we are exterminating who we feel like and starting to rebuild this city from scratch.Yani there were like minnie concentration camps and if you belonged to the previous government you were killed anyway its a great book.The reason of my title "that we may never forget" is as I was reading of the struggles that th Cambodians endured I started to think of the many Cambodians I used to work with at some company - am talking third or fourth generation immigrants who were born here went to elementary high school and college here...and I was wonderign oh my goodness I hope they have an idea of the history of their country and the blood that was shed for them to be chasing this elusive American dream...I think of the year of the Rwandan genocide - just the other day - 1994 gosh I was comfortable in a standard three class somewhere in Nairobi while so many innocent lives were lost...ok am kinda diverting.But my point is as I was driving by the defunct Borders the other day oh no not even Borders I was at the clinic today with my mum and we see on a wall - every child who behaves takes a book to go with" or somethign to that extent.Basically here pls give your child a book.I thought wow I hoe our history does not get lost in translation over the generations...I hope ten twenty years from now you can ask a Kenyan kid born today pls tell me about the Mau Mau and the struggle for independence...I hope I will be able to have a conversation in twenty years with a Cambodian about the Khmer rouge without getting a deer in the headlights look.And I know some have argued let the past bury the dead but I feel if we do not have a heritage to look back to we will not have a  future to stand and fight for....anyway am loving expanding my reading horizons and oh oh oh I am following a blog that is so inspiring - a familys batttle with their young girls cancer its so inspiring...you can check it out here  http://gheemers.blogspot.com/

No comments: