Thursday, March 08, 2012

Of why I love CHAI

Okay so I am finally getting blog savvy - wow the blogosphere has changed in leaps and bounds - i think I am still the only one on blogspot.com...hey but whatever...soooo.I started m little gig at CHAI - its a one day thing but every time I leave I always feel a sense of wow this is the stuff that I love - that I want to be waking up to every morning ..When I told a rommie of mine she was like mmmh ebu jichunge you know Clinton loves interns lol
So here are just a few reasons I love my one day affair at Clinton Health Access Initiative:

1.)FREE vending machines yes like the only free thing in America - no strings attached - you just go press what you want and voila VEND..yeah my name is Penny and am a vending machine junkie.
2.)The staff are so relaxed - I am a VERY laid back perosn.The thought of rigid uptightness at work freaks me out - relax its never that serious....I think one main reason is coz they are well travelled - most have lived in Africa - my immediate boss - bless her heart she is an angel lived in Benin  - tiny little country in West Africa teaching English.So I guess its true when you travel you become more exposed to new experiences, new people, and you dust off that New England aire - not sure of the spelling air or aire?? mmmmh....
3.)The men and womens bathroom sign needs to be pulled down - no one really bothers to check which one they are entering - and when I asked I was told "we are family" no one cares who is using what.
4.)Work starts after nine and oh my favorite part - you do not have to punch in - do you know how I detest punching in - I used to loathe it at a job I worked in Lowell.I feel a sense of entrapment - as though I am under someone elses clock each hour is being monitored I like workign my own hours - it could be two hours today twenty tommorrow but either way I get the job done perfectly kapsish not clock in clock out when you say ...
5.)We do not wear name tags - another of my pet peeves...again name tags remind me of the Kipande system in colonial Kenya.I know sad but true - feel as though its this huge thing being used to identify me as just another person in this huge organizaion.I would prefer no name tag which makes you go the extra mile to remember my name next time we meet at the water cooler...
6.)I have parking - no like seriously where in Boston do you get FREE parking all day I mean I love this that i can drive into Boston at a time there is no traffic park my car and walk away - no train no subway no meter fees...
7.)This should actually be up there - the work the organization is involved in is my passion project in life - promoting equal access to basic health care for those who would otherwise not afford...the travel, the groundwork, the cultures I love it!
8.)It feels good saying am an intern at the Clinton Health access Initiative - even if my sister calls my work kanda ya moko I like signing off an email with my little self acclaimed title and of course for resume building

Yeah so I love chai - no but really I do love tea...;)

No comments: